Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Into the Wild

This week's F3 challenge: write a short story about being caught with your pants down. Now, all I can think about is that silly American Idol song about pants on the ground...

Excuse the, er, scatological nature of this particular story. Pants down and all, you know, this is where my brain went...
Prompt: Someone is caught with their pants down
Genre: Any
Word Count: I don’t honestly know what 1500-1800 words looks like, so let’s say keep it to less than two 8×11′s.
Deadline: 
Thursday, April 7, 2011 A.D., on or about 4:30ish.

Into the Wild

I don't know why my bowels have to move--urgently--every time I go hiking. Is it the fear of being in the wilderness, away from all that is known? Is it some sort of primal reconnection with my hunter-gatherer ancestors? Perhaps it's just that my gut is as obstinate and ornery as the rest of me.

I sigh and readjust my position. I managed to find a good couple boulders to squat against while doing my business, and the pine trees above provide shade. I life my head and smile against the feel of the sunlight filtered through the forest. I feel better than last time, when I was exposed on a ridgeline, with the caress of the mountain breeze against my vulnerable backside.

At least I know to be prepared. There's an entire roll of toilet paper in my backpack. If only my quads weren't burning from being stuck in this ungainly position, this would be a nice rest. I can hear the soft gurgle of a nearby stream. The birds have paused in their chirping, and all is silent. It's a little eerie.

I call out to my companions, thinking maybe they are approaching.

"Private business here!"

No response. Huh. I shift again, trying to relieve the pressure from a particularly pointy part of the boulder beneath my right butt cheek.

"Hello?"

Still no response. My forearms prickle and I reach for my backpack, thinking I'll grab the pepper spray I keep handy. The backpack slides away from me.

Shit.

I freeze as something big drags the pack across the sun-dappled pine needles, something I can only see a shadow of before my pack disappears.

My pepper spray is in there. My toilet paper is in there. I'm stuck, with my pants down, in the middle of the wilderness.

What if it returns? What if I'm the next thing it grabs? I look around for a stick, anything big enough I can use to defend myself.

I hear a low growl, and I grab the nearest thing--a 12-inch twig. Lotta good that'll do me.

I lift myself off the boulders, praying the numbness in my ass will disappear so I can run. So much for cleanliness. One-handed, I try to hoist my underwear and pants back up into position.

Before I can complete the task, a tawny hide appears. It's a mountain lion, slinking low across the forest floor, skimming its belly across the needles and almost blending in.

I drop my pants and take off, tripping over the clothes entangled around my ankles and rolling to a stop on my belly.

I throw myself on my back.

The lion pounces.

10 comments:

  1. While I was in the active army I was stationed at Fort Carson, Colorado in the mid-80's. Being from the South the winters were not big on my list but I found the summers very nice. Excuse me but your story reminded me how if you have to poop outside having a scenic view of the Rocky Mountains cannot be beat.

    Needless to say your story was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack! What happened next?? Boy that is really having a bad day... Loved this! You created nice texture with the wilderness... now I'd like to visit that place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Ingrid, what happened? I guess I'll just have to use my imagination. lol Well written scene!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The feeling of helplessness is powerful throughout the story and it doesn't hurt at all that it's peppered with some nice description. Oh shit indeed! Nice job dear.

    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why I don't camp. Great job, Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Give me a nice flush toilet in the middle of the city any day! Great story, and one that is sure to keep me out of the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Reg & Ingrid: I had a final phrase on the last sentence that said, "...and all went black." I thought maybe it was a bit over the top or maybe too melodramatic, but now I'm wondering if that might have helped...?

    @Beach Bum: Well, I did pull on some autobiographical accounts here. While I was never attacked by a mountain lion (thank God), I did have a wonderful view on the top of a windy ridge once, overlooking the eastern Sierra Nevada.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading it. It left a lot to the imagination and left me wanting to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although I've never been in this position, you really made me feel like I, uh...was. Very descriptive. And based on what happens, I would much rather read about it than live through it!

    Look forward to reading more of your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can have camping and hiking and all that outdoor stuff! Not for me! This was great. You can really feel the sense of complete helplessness in that most helpless of situations. As frightening as the end is, there is quite a bit of humor there as you picture it all. Any of us who have had to use the side of a road or some such thing can readily identify with this. Great job, but I too, would like to know what happened. Hopefully, something good came out of all this!

    ReplyDelete