Thursday, May 19, 2011

Negotiation

After a couple weeks off, due to end-of-semester stress, I was able to participate in this week's F3 challenge.

Prompt: Write a story of a negotiation and have your characters use at least two tactics
Genre: Any
Word Count: 1000 words
Deadline: Thursday, May 19th, 2011, 4:30 pm EST

Negotiation

"Aw, but Mom--" my eight-year-old son's voice trailed off into the kind of high-pitched whine only a dog could hear.

"Doesn't matter. Not gonna happen." I put the dozen (non-cracked, I checked) eggs in the shopping cart and pushed forward. Onward. Must not cave.

His shoulders slumped and his feet dragged. He deliberately flapped his camo flip-flops in an annoying shuffle while his lower lip extended out and down. His blue-and-white striped shirt and clashing purple shorts dripped with misery and his tangled blonde hair--in desperate need of a haircut--covered his eyes. A good thing, in my opinion. I didn't need to see his pleading blue eyes almost fill with tears.

I turned the cart into the cereal aisle, bracing for the next wave of beggary. He saw the sugar-coated treats in neon boxes and perked up, skipping with tall shoulders and bright eyes.

"Mom!" He stopped, starting at the Cocoa Puffs.

"No."

"But, what if--"

"No."

"I'll be good. I'll have a good attitude for the rest of the day. I'll even help you with dishes." He turned his eager face to me, holding the giant box aloft like a triumphant soldier returning from war.

Oh, negotiating, are we? Two can play this game.

"I don't know about that. You know I don't like sugar cereal." I paused.

"I know." He hung his head in mock discouragement, but his eyes peered up at me.

"You know, I like the idea of help with dishes. And the garbage needs to be taken out. The recycling, too." I leaned against the cart.

"I can do that, Mom. All of it." He put on his serious face.

"Your room is a mess, too."

"I'll clean it. And your room, too."

I laughed. "I don't know about that."

"Seriously, Mom, your room is a mess. You need to clean it." He wagged his finger at me. I wondered where he got it from. I shook my head.

"I'll get to it," I told him. "I'm too busy cleaning the cat litter box and your bathroom."

"Okay, I'll clean my bathroom, too."

Ooh, an offer to clean his bathroom. Gold!

"Okay. But not Cocoa Puffs. You can get a box of LIFE cereal." I pointed to the better choice.

"Two boxes." He put his dirty hands on his little hips and tilted his head. "One box of Cocoa Puffs is worth at least two boxes of LIFE."

I sighed. "Okay. Deal."

He stuck his hand out and I took it, shaking once. He skipped down the aisle, thinking he got a good deal.

I knew better.

7 comments:

  1. Kids! My eight year-old daughter does me the exact same way. I don't know which is happening faster, my hair turning grey or it falling out. Either way her and my 15 year-old son are the ones causing it.

    Needless to say great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Perfect description of the world's toughest negotiators: Eight year olds!

    They're favorite tactic: Overwhelm with information and requests

    ReplyDelete
  3. A negotiation, to which, any parent can relate and well played by the parent at that. Score 1 for the grown ups. Well done!

    L Turner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent story... smashing read!

    Until I began working in a daycare/pre-school, I didn't realize what extraordinary negotiators children could be.

    I have to ask... fiction or true life? LOL!!

    "One box of Cocoa Puffs is worth at least two boxes of LIFE." Haha! I LOVE the way this young man thinks! And, he is right, you know... one box of Cocoa Puffs is worth at least two boxes of Life... maybe three, if there was a cool prize in the Cocoa Puffs! :)

    I really LOVE your story, Angie... this is definitely going on my top ten list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are so many perfectly crafted details (high pitched whine only a dog could hear, non-cracked eggs, etc) in this very brief story. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this! Brought back memories - ah, negotiating with little kids. Doesn't work quite that way with teenagers though... drat... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angie, I believe I can post a comment here now. It's also on the F3 site. This is really terrific. I do believe that children invented negotiation. This brings back so many memories with my son and now my two grandchildren. They are truly born with the gift of making deals!

    ReplyDelete