Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Confessions of a Proofreader

Salk Institute: Modern Architecture

One of my duties at work is to proofread. This comes in handy for my self-employed architect significant other, who realized early on in our relationship that I actually enjoy reading and editing--even gigantic, jargon-filled pieces about Modern architecture. (Don’t get me started on the unnecessary capitalization of Modern. Apparently it’s important. Don’t mess with it.)

Recently, I was editing a long piece and began making organizational changes to it. Then I realized there was a rhyme to my SO's reason, so I wrote “stet” above my marks. (For those of you who aren’t proofreaders, stet means “nevermind; I'm an idiot," or, officially, "let it stand.")

Apparently, I have poor penmanship, as the response was: "What’s this about a slut?!"

2 comments:

  1. You make an interesting point about the capital M. I suppose, when it is lower case, it would have to be modern in the true sense of the word. Literature that is modern would not have to be the same as Modern literature.

    Hope all is well in Tucson. I was hoping to be back that way around the 4th, but it may be a little later.

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesse - very true. I know there's a good reason; I just dislike (what I perceive as) unnecessary capitalization :)

    ReplyDelete