Thursday, August 11, 2011

Writing a novel: How does one even begin?


I have this idea. Is it enough to write hundreds of pages about? I've only ever tackled short stories. They are so much nicer, neater. Quicker. Succincter. (Is that even a word?) (You know you have problems when you start using non-existent words.) (And multiple parentheticals.)

There's this book. A cheesy book. A do-it-yourself-and-get-rich-quick kind of book. It's called something like "You! Can! Write! A! Novel!" Okay, maybe I threw in some extra exclamation points. Whatever. You get the point. (Points?)

At the bookstore, I picked it from the shelf. My cheeks burning, I read the back cover. Intrigued, my eyes darted around the bookstore to see if anyone was watching as I furtively opened it to read a few lines. It was interesting. Interesting enough, anyway, that I snuck it between the other few books in my arms as I strolled--ever so nonchalant--to the checkout counter. I tried reading it that afternoon, but soon tired of the Take Action! Now! Pick Up Your Pencil! And Write! exhortations.

But that was before my idea. Now I actually have something to write about. (Maybe.)

I'm thinking about picking the book up again to see if its exercises and exhortations will actually prompt me to DO something with this possibly novel-length story. (Maybe.)

How about you--have you tried writing something novel-length? How did you do it? Did you use a cheesy self-help writing book? If so, which one? If not, why not?

2 comments:

  1. With an Inspiration is what works for me.
    My first one, which is well underway, began with a couple of sentences in a history book that summarizes as: The Sea People came in and wiped out the Hittites and drove the Egyptians back up the Nile, and they did not know where they came from. The last part got me going. I do like things with a historical bent, maybe because it seems more real than this fictional world in which we live.

    You seem to be interested in real life dilemmas with which a "common man\woman" struggles to an appropriate ending. It seems to me that the length of a piece has to be appropriate to the stakes involved. Like a flight to the moon, it takes a lot of fuel to get through a novel (to carry the story). Up the stakes with your main character. Give it a try to see if it works for you. Even make it ridiculous to begin with, if it doesn't seem to flow easily for you. Reminds me, I've got to get some ink on paper today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, definitely: real-life dilemmas that a common wo/man (usually female) struggles through--honestly--to an appropriate ending. Yes, a LOT of fuel. And I can't seem to find it for my current idea. I sat down to try and write about it a little, and ended up with a fantastic 160-word piece: a complete story in under 200 words. For an idea I thought could carry a novel.

    I definitely think I need to loosen up and not put so. much. weight. on this!

    Thanks for your words, Jesse! I sure wish you were in Tucson more often :)

    ReplyDelete